Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Friday 26 April 2013

Congratulations on considdering homeschool

Congratulations if you are considering homeschooling!! When you decide to homeschool your children there might be some difficulties to overcome, but the best place to teach your children is at home.

Now let's take a look at where we started and how does the cost compare to a public school. Here in South Africa public schools are also expensive compared to many years back, so you have allot of money in your monthly budget that you used to pay the school with. 

My monthly school fees used to be R1 770.00 per month for my two children.  We started using the Kenweb curriculum which according to me is great, the program helps us allot, because they have the program for every week to finish and it helps me to know if we are up to standard.  To start with, I already had a computer with internet as well as a laser printer - which works best, because you do print allot. We have used up 3 toners up till now and the books aren't fully printed yet, I print as we go.  Initially for the two children it cost R1470,00 for the first programs for both children with the books (which was once off, not monthly). You just pay, download en voila ready to go.  Now it is just running cost for toner and paper, which adds up to approximately R500.00 per month. Then we have not even mentioned the petrol you save as well as on (here in SA) school uniforms and the book case that has to be replaced every term, because the books are so much the bookcases don't last. So we do save allot of money that we can use for fun things, such as a earth ball, tools for science experiments, art stuff and so on..... 

Then there is the question: will I be able to do it, I did not study to become a teacher? 
Well, we are doing it, my children love learning, they enjoy school and we are closer, because normally we were tired or irritated from a hard day. They even started to love reading, which was always "hard work".  There are also great programs on the internet that helps allot.

You know that when your child is in school, the teacher always knows and you don't, that changes when you homeschool, now you are the teacher and now you know. My children are more positive, fight allot less and do not question everything I say, because it is different from what the teacher said.
 

We absolutely love homeschooling, it is great, and I can see them learn and grow day by day. And because one of my children is ADHD, he was always drifting away in class, it cost me allot of money for an occupational therapist that the school convinced me to take him to and in the end, all he needed was one on one help. He is advancing so much, it is unbelievable.

We even have our own logo with a name for our home school and our own school song.

So if you are homeschooling or considering homeschooling, I believe it is a great choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment